This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure page for more information.
When we look around at all the need that exists in this world, it’s easy to get overwhelmed.
We think that making an impact is impossible.
How can I possibly help?
How can God possibly use me for His good and glory?
And so we do nothing.
But what if we’re thinking about this all wrong? What if instead trying to create large-scale, elaborate change, we start with small, simple acts of kindness to those around us?
What if we just start by reaching out a hand to someone in need? Letting someone know they’re on our minds and that we care? What if we start giving our time, energy, and love more freely?
A simple word. A small gesture. A loving action.
God will use, bless, and multiply these beyond our wildest dreams.
All we have to do is act.
Here are 20 small and simple random acts of kindness that you can do today:
- Make a list of the needs you see around you and start praying over them daily.
- If you have an elderly neighbor, check in to see how you can help him or her: Chores, food, lifting heavy things, yard work, conversation. Maybe take them a cup of coffee and settle in for a nice chat!
- Give your spouse and kids extra hugs and kisses, tell them you love them and are thankful for them.
- Leave your spouse love notes all over the house, just a few words on a post-it to let him know you’re thankful for him.
- Take dinner to a friend or neighbor. This is especially helpful for someone who is having difficulty cooking for themselves or is just overwhelmed at the moment.
- Send or drop off flowers for a friend along with a note telling her you appreciate her.
- Send out a few “thinking of you” cards to friends or family members.
- Mow your neighbor’s lawn.
- When you get your morning coffee, pick up an extra for a coworker, friend, or neighbor. I have a sweet friend who offers to do this for me, and it always makes my day!
- Put together a few “blessing bags” with toiletries, nonperishable food items, and a small Bible. Include in each bag a handwritten note describing God’s love for us. Put them in your car and be ready to give them out when you see someone with an immediate need.
- Leave the server at a restaurant an extra-large tip and a sweet “thank you” message.
- Choose an encouraging Bible verse and share it on social media.
- Pay for the people behind you in the drive-thru.
- Donate food to a local homeless shelter or food pantry.
- Make cookies for your (or your spouse’s) coworkers.
- Make your husband his favorite dinner and have the kids help you with making a yummy dessert.
- Send a care package to a long-distance friend.
- Take care of a chore that you know your spouse doesn’t like doing.
- Babysit for a friend for free.
- Donate to a charity: Clothes, household items, or money.
Make a commitment to do one random act of kindness today! I’d love it if you’d let me know in the comments what you decide to do!
You may also enjoy:
Let us serve others as the hands and feet of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and show His love to those around us!